top of page
Fri, Feb 17|
USS Midway Museum
2023 WNHA Symposium
Expanding Naval History V: Writing, Remembering & Modeling Naval History
Registration is ClosedSee other events
Time & Location
Feb 17, 10:00 AM PST – Feb 18, 4:00 PM PST
USS Midway Museum, 910 N Harbor Dr, San Diego, CA 92101
About the event
The program this year includes: workshops and historical presentations including:
- Captain Jim Bryant (USN Ret.) “Evolution of U.S. Nuclear Submarines from Nautilus to Thresher.” Bryant is the former skipper of USS Guardfish (SSN-612) and a returning speaker.
- David Kohnen, Geoffrey Till, Andrew Lambert (invited). These historical dreadnoughts from King’s College and the Naval War College will discuss the centennial ofJulian S. Corbett’s death and his influence on naval history and the philosophy of Sea Power
- Commander Terry McKearney (USN Ret.) “The Solomon IslandsCampaign.” McKearney,aformerSWOand Proceedings author willconsiderseveralaspectsofthecampaign.
- Eric Mills. “Writing for Naval History Magazine.” Mills is the editor of this renown Naval Institute publication
- Drachinifel. “The New Naval History: running a history YouTube channel.” Drachinifel is a self-described Naval Histriographer. His channel has 395,000 subscribers.
- Stephen McLaughlin. “Russian and Soviet Cruisers.” McLaughlin is the author of the recently reprinted classic, Russian and Soviet Battleships.
- Karl Zingheim: “Disaster at Point Honda.” Mr. Zingheim is an authorandthe USS Midway Museum Historian. This will coverthe largest peace time loss of U.S. Navy ships in a single incident.
- JeremyMazur: “Conductng Oral History Interviews.” Mr.Mazur, WNHA Board Member and MCRD Museum associate, will discuss techniques, tools, and tips for recording and preserving oral history.
- Other speakers will include Kathleen Broome Williams, author of Measure of a Man: My Father, the Marine Corps and Saipan; author and editorJohn Burtt; DaveWinkler, of the Naval Historical Center, and a surprise guest or two.
Virtual attendance is free but registration is required for a link. Physical attendance is $50, which includes lunch, refreshments, admission to the USS Midway, and WNHA membership.
For questions write Vince O'Hara at firstname.lastname@example.org
bottom of page